The Commencement Order for the Public Health Alcohol Bill has been signed, officially signing it into law.
Here are the main points of the Bill:
- A minimum unit pricing for alcohol will be introduced.
- Segregation of alcohol sales from other products in shops.
- Cancer warnings are being added to the packaging of alcohol products.
- Advertising restrictions and a broadcasting watershed.
- Advertising of alcohol products in or on public service vehicles, transports and busses.
- Alcohol wont be advertised in parks or sports events where children are present.
Simon Harris took to Twitter to release the news:
Have signed the Commencement Order for the Public Health Alcohol Bill. Landmark legislation – 1st time we have ever introduced public health law relating to alcohol. Law will commence on 12th November with various lead-in times for each measure starting from then #phab #progress pic.twitter.com/bpvokJ6bY3
— Simon Harris TD (@SimonHarrisTD) November 5, 2018